YA Reveiw: The Burning Sky

Title: The Burning Sky
Author: Sherry Thomas
Series: The Elemental Trilogy #1
Published: September 17th 2013 by Balzer + Bray
Genres: Fantasy, YA
Source: ARC


It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning…

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life.

I was surprised that a book as sprawling and epic as this one is only book one in the series. It makes me giddy to think that we are going to continue on with the characters and world that I found myself instantly drawn into. The Burning Sky speaks well to the fantasy lover that I am and I loved how it mixed with historical fiction. Although it is a fantasy world there are elements of the real world mixed in. It was executed well as we drift between the two. There were a few points when I would get confused for a second but then as I continued reading my mind straightened out.


There are so many things I loved about the book but I especially enjoyed the character of Titus. He is not your typical prince. Rather than being unaware and protected in a bubble from the outside world, Titus is very well acquainted with the art of war. I’m not just meaning in the practical sense of the word but as well as political. He knows who and who doesn’t report to Atlantis and how to hold his cards close to his chest. He is also extremely clever and has not gone into action without having a plan and there is always a back-up plan brewing in his mind as well. I’m glad that he is also able to use mage powers and is not completely reliant on Iolanthe to save the world. He is able to add a little of his own contribution.


Iolanthe is also a character I enjoyed. It’s not often though that I like the main lead guy over the girl. Iolanthe is also clever and quick witted. We are talking about a girl who can fool a bunch of boys into thinking she is a boy. Not only that but be able to do things she had never even heard of before attending Eton college. Iolanthe is well aware of her powers but doesn’t quite understand the magnitude of who she is and who she has value to. In the book we see her really grow as she leaves her small town world.


The romance was completely adorable in this book. It made me smile at how adorably smitten the two of them are. There was just something innocent and pure about it. Like that first crush in high school. I love when the prince throws her off her feet or when she compltely astounds him.


I loved this book and I think if you are fan of fantasy mixed in with a little historical fiction you will love it too.